GUNSMITHING SERVICES: Tier 1 M700 Receiver Accurizing
LRI has pioneered the use of Vertical Machining Centers to accurize bolt action receivers. From a very humble beginning, we've refined the process with the use of 5-axis machining capability. This is not art, it's putting modern resources to good use.
Challenges solved with our process:
- Reduction in tool library eliminates tolerance stacking
- Consolidated machining operations improves dimensioning accuracy
- Exceptional Parallelism between bolt and receiver lug surfaces
- Use of a "Higbee" lead thread to eliminate the risk of a torn or galled thread start
- Avoidance of part distortion from work holding
- Taper free receiver ring threads with use of thread milling tool paths
- Standardization of threads through in process inspection
- Misaligned optic base holes eliminated with consolidated workholding
- Improved surface finish from solid workholding and aerospace quality machining and tooling
The end result are features and a level of precision that were once the exclusive domain of custom actions.
Tier 1 Accurizing Standardized Features:
- Higbee Lead thread feature
- Helically milled thread ring 1.085"x16 tpi
- Thread milled receiver ring threads
- reconditioned lug abutments
- Bolt face resurfacing
- Bolt Lugs resurfaced
- Primary extraction feature tuned
- TIG welded/silver soldered bolt handle
Optional Features and Services:
- Striker pin Bushing installation
- Turn Striker Pin to .0625"
- AR-15 Extractor installation
- Clip Slotting receiver for M40 style lugged optic base
- LRI External side bolt release installation
- Pinned Recoil lug (limited to LRI lugs only)
- Wide variety of bolt fluting options
- Jeweled bolt body
- 8-40 optic base hole enlargement
- Fluted Bolt shrouds
- Skeletonized bolt handle
- Extended internal magazine modification
- AIAW magazine modification to receiver
- Filling tang groove on M700 SS actions via TIG welded silicon bronze
- Tactical bolt knob installation
- Single and multi colored Cerakote application
- Parkerize coating application (limited to carbon steel actions only)
- Glass bead blast finish (limited to stainless actions only)
- Diamond Like Carbon coating (DLC)
- Installation of aftermarket bolt handle
- Fitting aftermarket bolt to receiver
- Reconditioning factory recoil lug (ID bored and surface grinding both sides)
In the spring of 2013 LRI announced a very ambitious project to one of the toughest and most demanding precision rifle audiences in today's shooting community: SnipersHide.com
We began offering accurized M700 barreled actions through an internet special. Since that time LRI's "Sniper's Hide M700 Accurized Barreled Action Group Buy" has grown into the largest and most continuous internet special in the history of the Sniper's Hide website.
LRI has literally produced thousands of custom built barreled actions for precision shooting enthusiasts. Our services have gone international with clients working in Private Security and Risk Management and Law Enforcement. The success of our effort validates the process and has ushered a new chapter in how precision bolt action barreled actions are assembled.
Finish Limitations with bolts and receivers.
The work LRI performs when accurizing an action is invasive and extensive. TIG welding/soldering involves the careful use of intensive heat. Coatings applied to the bolt must be removed to avoid contamination of the welded/soldered joint. Because of this your bolt will require refinishing. This cannot be avoided. LRI offers a full menu of finishing options to restore your bolt to pristine condition.
A fundamental of any machining operation is rigid and solid work holding, (clamping the part to the machine in a manner that prevents it from slipping) LRI treats your property with great respect, however there are limitations. We cannot guarantee that our fixtures will not damage the surface finish of your receiver. We are as careful as we can be, but collets and vices are made from tool grade, heat treated steels. They are hard and very tough to ensure repeatability for thousands of cycles. Because of this your receiver may require refinishing. This cannot be avoided. LRI offers a full menu of finishing options that will restore your receiver to pristine condition.
Our accurizing service alters the factory M700 thread dimensions. They are enlarged to a value of 1.085x16tpi. A factory/aftermarket recoil lug cannot be reinstalled without modification. We must ID bore the hole through the lug for the larger barrel tennon to fit through. This must be done when clients choose to use OEM or outsourced components. LRI also surface grinds all factory M700 lugs to bring the two sides to perfect parallelism. LRI recoil lugs are made this way from the start for a "drop in" installation.
LRI limits the recoil lug pinning option to LRI brand lugs only. Our recoil lugs come standard with pin bores drilled/reamed during manufacturing. The market is saturated with a variety of aftermarket recoil lugs. Attempting to fixture and archive tool paths for every recoil lug variation in circulation just isn't realistic.
All LRI lugs are finished to a nominal thickness of .300" We offer two profiles. A "Heavy" Tactical lug in a modified tombstone profile and a "Heavy" Tactical designed to emulate the factory M700 profile.
When selecting your option, choose the M700 profile for "drop in" pre inletted stocks or chassis configurations. Our standard Heavy Tactical is best suited for gunsmiths comfortable with modifying the recoil lug inlet pattern.
We Also Recommend